6 Facts About Wisconsin Personal Injury Law | Eisenberg Law
Personal Injury Law: 6 Fast Facts From a Wisconsin Attorney
Personal injury law centers around negligent or reckless behavior and the injuries that result from those behaviors. Unfortunately, cases are not as straightforward as many Wisconsin residents expect. Simply being injured is not enough to make a personal injury claim. To successfully settle a personal injury claim, the element of negligence must be proven and there must be a proven connection between the negligent action and the resulting injury. This is just one fact about Wisconsin personal injury law. Below, we share six more personal injury facts.
Wisconsin Personal Injury Law Facts
- It is a Wide-Ranging Law. This field of law covers more than car and truck accidents. It also covers, slips and falls, wrongful death, traumatic brain injuries, pedestrian and bicycle accidents, and even dog bites.
- Lawsuits are Presented in Civil Court. Personal injury cases are civil cases , not criminal ones. Cases are presented to the judge or jury who will find the defendant liable or not liable for the injuries. Your personal injury attorney will present evidence in the case. If the judge/jury believes the defendant to be more than 50% liable, they will owe you damages.
- There is a Time Limit to File a Claim. Wisconsin has a three-year statute of limitations on personal injury cases, two years on wrongful death. In the vast majority of cases, you must file your claim within two or three years from the date of the injury in order to seek compensation for it.
- Cases Can Take a Long Time to Resolve. If there is overwhelming evidence, a personal injury case can be resolved quickly, but this is the exception rather than the rule. Most cases span months or even years before they are resolved. In general, the more severe the injury, the longer the case will take to resolve. .
- Every Case is Unique. One reason cases can go on for so long is because every case, every accident, every injury, and every person is unique. Your personal injury attorney will need to examine every piece of evidence in your case and examine every report, every medical diagnosis and every bill to determine your claim amount. Although this takes time, the outcome will be more likely to meet your immediate and long-term needs.
- Legal Expertise Matters. Attorneys who specialize in personal injury law build stronger cases and secure higher compensation amounts for their clients than those who don’t have this expertise. They are familiar with the ins and outs of personal injury arguments, evidence collection, case building, and the court system. All of this works to your advantage in a claim.
Contact Eisenberg Law Offices for Personal Injury Representation in Wisconsin
Unexpected, alarming, and possibly financially devastating, a personal injury can upend your life. But recovery is possible with help from a qualified and experienced attorney. The personal injury attorneys at Eisenberg Law Offices work with victims to prove that their injuries were the result of someone else’s negligence, ascertain the cost of those injuries to the victims, and secure financial compensation to help victims recover. We file claims and manage the legal process on behalf of our clients so they can focus on recovering from their injuries.
If you have been injured and you think it was due to someone else’s negligence or reckless behavior, contact our office to arrange a free and confidential case consultation. You pay us nothing unless we win your case. We can examine your situation, explain your options, and provide you with an honest assessment of your chances of recovering damages.