Skip to main content
landlord liability

Landlord Responsibility for Accidents on Rental Property

Landlord liability for Rental Property Accidents

When you rent your home, you might wonder who is responsible for accidents that occur there. After all, you likely carry renter’s insurance for the contents of the house or apartment, but not broader homeowner’s insurance. This is because, most of the time, the owner or landlord is responsible for accidents that problems with the property cause.

Premises Liability

In Wisconsin, the concept of premises liability covers accidents that occur because of the negligence of the homeowner or manager. If there are uneven sidewalks or cluttered or slippery walkways, a stumble or slip and fall often results. Assuming the landlord or owner is or should be aware of the condition but leaves it in place, he or she is liable for accidents that result from that negligence. Similarly, general disrepair or lack of safety measures like guard rails or hand rails can leave the owner liable for injuries that result from their absence.

Security Issues

Beyond keeping the property in good repair, landlords have some duties to keep the premises secure. If they know of a security threat and do not act on that information, they may be liable for damages if something happens. Further, if the area has high rates of violent crime, the landlord may be liable even absent a specific notification if he or she does not provide measures like alarms or security guards to protect tenants and guests.

Your Responsibilities

In some cases, a landlord or property owner may not know of problems. Loose carpeting or wires inside a living space, for instance, may not be visible. You need to notify the landlord or owner of these dangers so they know to complete repairs. If you do notify them, and an accident occurs after they have reasonable time and do not complete the repairs, the landlord and/or owner will be liable for damages related to that accident.

If you or a guest has suffered an injury on property you rent, you have a right to sue for damages. Contact Eisenberg Law Offices online or at (608)256-8356 to learn how we can help.