Skip to main content

What Can You Do After a Conviction?

You have some options after a criminal conviction

Sometimes things do not go your way in a criminal trial. You may feel you have received an unfair sentence, or you might think the conviction itself is wrong. It is not easy to get a second chance, but there are rules in place to let you ask. If you need to ask the court for relief after you are sentenced, working with an experienced criminal defense attorney can help you.

After a Guilty Plea

Sometimes defendants plead guilty as part of a plea deal with the prosecutor. In exchange for choosing not to fight the charges against you, you can agree to a lesser charge. The prosecutor may even recommend a more lenient sentence for you. Unfortunately, it does not always work in your favor. If the court gives you a harsher sentence than you believe you should receive, you can ask for reconsideration of the sentence, or in some situations can withdraw your guilty plea. You have to act quickly, so working with an experienced attorney gives you the best chance to get relief.

After a Criminal Conviction

After you are convicted, you may appeal to a higher court if you feel the trial court made a serious error. This can include requesting a less harsh sentence, a new trial, or reversal of your conviction. 

You have a limited amount of time to file an appeal, so you cannot afford to wait. In addition, you have to show a good reason that the conviction was wrong. This can include errors in application of the law by your judge or jury, or ineffective assistance of counsel by your trial lawyer. 

You Need Experienced Help

Neither of these processes is easy. If you want to file an appeal, you need an attorney who will take the time to fully understand your case, and has the experience to represent you on your appeal. Contact Eisenberg Law Offices online or at 608-256-8356 to learn more.